Saturday, March 7, 2015

What Have The Rolling Hills Been Up To?

Most of you know the weather has been awful, just about everywhere in the US.  Myrtle Beach has been no exception.  It has been rainy, cold and windy with very little sunshine.  I've done my best to stay upbeat, though it has been tough.

In early February I met an old Mary Kay friend, Diane Heckatorne. for lunch and we caught up on what has been going on in our lives.  Diane always looks great!
Diane Heckathorne & Glo

T and I went over to Georgetown, SC for a day and strolled on the riverwalk, had lunch and drove back.  Georgetown is the third oldest city in South Carolina.  In it's hay-day it was a large port city.  Today it is primarily a mill town with a lot of history.  The first seven years of my life I lived there.




In an effort lift my spirits, we drove to Lakeland, Fl, on  February 18th, to visit with my friend, Angie, the gal who sacrificed and took the road trip across country with me in December. What a great time we had while in Florida.  The weather was glorious while we were there.  Sun was shining everyday.  We walked around several of the lakes in the area with no coat and short sleeves.

One day we went to Oponay Farms and picked strawberries.


That evening we had a healthy meal with strawberries for desert.  I was so proud of the meal I made and pleased with how pretty it looked I had to take a picture.



We visited Bok Tower Gardens, just outside of Lake Wales, FL.  Bok Tower Gardens is a National Historic Landmark, contemplative garden and bird sanctuary.  If you are ever in the area, I recommend you take time to visit the gardens.  Everything was in bloom and it was wonderful to be outside in nature.
Glo, T & Angie at entrance to Bok Tower Gardens.

T enjoying the tranquility of the gardens

Bok Tower

After leaving Bok Tower, we headed over to the Cherry Pocket Restaurant.  T fell in love with the place.  T says, "It's just a fish camp dive with excellent chow and reasonable prices." We will go back there again if ever in the area.  

T entering Cherry Pocket

View from the parking lot.



















To give you a feel for the place, there is a sign in the restaurant that says, "DO NOT FEEDTHE ALLIGATORS.  It is against the law.  Feeding the alligators also makes them less afraid of humans and more likely to attack people and animals especially small children and small animals. " Definitely, T's kind of place.
Sign in the restaurant.



While in Florida the temperatures back in Myrtle Beach dropped into the teens.  T was concerned that things may have frozen in the trailer.  So sadly, we left Florida and headed back to Myrtle Beach on the 25th.  
I posted this picture on Facebook with the caption, "What were we thinking?"

The first week in March, I had the opportunity to spend an evening with my cousin, Linda and her husband.  The guys talked all night about cars and the military while Linda and I talked about family and memories.  It truly was a pleasant evening.  Linda prepared Shrimp Grits and that made the evening even better.

Since we got back to Myrtle Beach, we've had rain and wind.  One day it did get into the 50s and I went for a walk with a friend on the beach.  We are projected to have about 4 days of nice weather with temps in the 50s and 60s and no rain.

Though I have painted a picture of dreary days during February, we did have one or two that weren't so bad and I took a few pictures of the beach and the birds.
Pelican, up close and personal.



No comments:

Post a Comment