Friday, August 16, 2013

Carolina Beach

We spent 4 days in Myrtle Beach visiting family before heading to Carolina Beach.  When we got ready to leave my car would not start.  My thoughts were, "Okay.  So I'll just be a little later than T getting to Carolina Beach." That wasn't the case.  I ended up spending most of the day in Myrtle Beach getting the car checked out, but thanks to my brother, Danny, I was able to have the use of a car while the car was being fixed.  I got to Carolina beach around 6pm.  Not too bad all things considered.

Carolina Beach
We've been at Carolina Beach since July 25.  What do we think of Carolina Beach?  It is like being in a time warp. Carolina Beach is part of what is called Paradise Island which consist of two towns, Carolina Beach and Kure (curry) Beach. The beach area and the boardwalk are like Myrtle Beach was when we were growing up.  Carolina Beach is a family oriented beach and a small town.  The people are friendly and you don't feel like they are all about getting your money.  Things are relatively inexpensive.  On Sunday nights they have free "movies in the park", showing family movies.  The typical movie refreshments are available and are cheap.  $2 for popcorn, $1 for a coke.  Amazing!
Kure Beach

Kure Beach is wonderful.  There are seven miles of beach away from crowds; you can walk along one of the few undeveloped stretches of shoreline on the southeast coast.  Incredibly peaceful place to go for a stroll, wade in the ocean, see the wildlife and just relax under the sun.



















We've ventured out a few times to surrounding towns.  Went to Southport, a quaint little town that has often been the setting for some of Nicholas Sparks books and movies.  Unfortunately the day we went we forgot the camera.  The temperature was 90 degrees and the humidity was 88%, making the heat index 107.  We didn't stay long, though I did take the opportunity to visit the local graveyard.  I know many of you think I'm crazy, but what can I say.  I love to visit graveyards.

We also spent an afternoon in Wilmington.  A beautiful place.  Lots of history and magnificent old homes.  We also got over to Wrightsville Beach.  Wrightsville is more modernized and up-to-date.  Quite beautiful.  In both instances I forgot the camera.

While here at Carolina Beach State Park, I got to lead a few nature hikes and introduce people to carnivorous plants such as pitcher plants and venus fly traps.  I learned that venus flytraps are only found naturally in a 70 mile radius of Wilmington.  When you see these plants in other areas, they are transplants.  Our duties consists of taking care of shower houses, cleaning campsites, helping with garbage cleanup and for the last two weeks we are here I will be working at the Marina store.

We will be here at Carolina Beach State Park until August 31st, at which time we'll move down to Huntington Beach State Park in Murrells Inlet for a new adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment