Saturday, November 9, 2013

Walt Disney World- What a Week!

We left Huntington Beach on Thursday, after spending an afternoon and evening with Elliott & Leslie, friends we made while at Kartchner Caverns.  It was great seeing them again.  We traveled just a few hours south to Yemassee, SC, where we stayed at The Oaks at Pointe South RV park.  It worked fine for an overnight stay, but not much more.  We then headed to Jacksonville, FL and stayed at the Fleetwood RV and Mobile Home park.  Again okay for an overnight.  We chose there because it was close to my cousin Bobby.  It just so happened that his dad, step mom and sisters were in town for the Florida Georgia football game.  We got to see them all and enjoy a “low country boil” while we were at it.  For those of you not familiar with “low country boil”, it’s shrimp, potatoes, corn on the cob and sausage boiled in water with Old Bay seasoning. We all pigged out while catching up on the happenings in each other’s lives. 

Saturday was our day to arrive at Disney World.  To say the least the week started with a bump and ended with a bump.  It rained most of the way from Jacksonville to Orlando, but the drive wasn’t bad.  As I was exiting the freeway toward Disney World I was rear-ended. Now it was pouring down rain.  I pulled off the road as does the other driver, we inspect the cars as best we can with the rain coming down hard, exchange info and go on our way.  I was soaked to the bone.  That was the first bump.

T & I got settled into the campsite at Fort Wilderness, Disney’s campground and later that evening we pickup Brian, Kelly and Sammy at the airport.  That’s when the fun began.  Sammy stayed with T & I the entire week while Brian and Kelly had some alone time at a hotel.  The Fort Wilderness park is huge with so much to do.  There’s a boat dock for renting canoes and kayaks, fishing gear, catching the ferry to The Magic Kingdom, several play grounds, a couple of swimming pools and so much more.

Sammy's 1st Kayak ride
T & Glo making memories
Kelly, Sammy, Brian beginning memories.
Sammy meeting Minnie
We spent four days out of five at the various Disney parks.  I don’t think we could have done much more.  T & I had to give in to the fact that our bodies aren’t what they used to be.  On Tuesday we rented a wheel chair so I could take a brake every now and then. My hip was bothering me.  Wednesday, T’s foot was bothering him, so we rented a chair for him.  We took Thursday off from the parks and on Friday we all went to one last park to take in a few rides.  In the afternoon we all went back to the Magic Kingdom, where T and I had a bite to eat and sat people watching until Brian, Kelly and Sammy were ready to head back.  Damn it’s hell getting old!
Sammy getting Mickey's autograph
Splash Mountain
Having fun on the dinosaur ride













Today we left Orlando headed to our next “assignment”, “home for three months”.  As I’m driving toward the freeway, I AM REAR-ENED AGAIN!!!!  Can you believe it?  The second bump. Fortunately, no one was hurt, though the guy who hit me this time was a real jerk.  We exchanged info and I called my insurance company AGAIN.

What could I do, but "make lemonade".  I took a break, found a Starbucks, bought a chai latte and calmed myself.  Right after that Molly threw up in the car seat.  It got all over her and the seat.  I pulled off again to find a place where I could buy something to clean her up with and again I was on my way.

We arrived at Sebastian Inlet State Park around two this afternoon, and I spent the afternoon, just sitting.  I had a double whammy day, with the bump and coming down off a wonderful week with Brian, Kelly and Sammy.   

We don’t go to “work” until Tuesday.  That gives us a little time  to familiarize ourselves with the area.  


Sebastian is quite different from Huntington!  The park itself isn’t near as nice, but the area is beautiful!  Water, water everywhere.  The park sits on the Inter-coastal waterway.  I’ll add pictures in the next few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment