Saturday, August 25, 2012

North Carolina & Genealogy Reserach

T is loving being in the Carolinas.  Eating BBQ and fried catfish. The sun is shining and the weather is great, not too hot. Low 80's with a breeze where we are in Lexington, NC.

On our way to Lexington I went to Reidsville, NC to find the grave of my great grandfather.  It took a visit to the local library and a mortuary, but I found out where he was buried, got directions and off I went to see the "family".  What a thrill to see so many Turners in one place, with dates and such.  I can now make the connection to people I have in my genealogy research database.  I didn't have time to do a thorough search, so I plan to go back one day next week and spend the day at the Registry of Deeds and at the Library looking through old new papers to see if I can find the obituary for my great grandfather and any property exchanges.  I can't tell you how excited I am to be so close to all this information.

For those of you who don't know, I've been doing genealogy research off and on since the mid '70s.  For a long time all I knew about my great grandfather was that he was living with another family when he was about 2 years old and I couldn't seem to get any more information on him.  Then I connected with a gal, who is a distant relative, and we exchanged information and I found some of the missing links. That ,along with a cousin who is also doing genealogy research, has enabled me to get this close.

Wish me luck with my research!

1 comment:

  1. How wonderful that you were able to walk the graveyard! That is exciting! I'm sorry that you didn't find any new leads in the papers though. Two years worth is a lot to sift through.

    ReplyDelete