Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Wine tasting in NC isn't like being at the Cellardoor

August 28

We went to Childress Winery here in Lexington, NC.  The property is beautiful and the building is magnificent.  T and I enjoyed most of the wines we tasted and even bought a few bottles to take with us.  However, the experience was nothing like being at the Cellardoor.  The feeling of being with friends and relaxing and enjoying the atmosphere just wasn't there.  Oh!  The people were nice enough, but Childress' wine tasting room isn't as cozy as Cellardoor and Childress charges a fee for the opportunity to taste their wines.  Now, I know that's normally what happens at most wineries.  It's just after visiting Cellardoor where the staff takes the time to educate you on their wines and tell you about what foods would go well with the wine, it's going to be hard to enjoy visiting other wineries.  I'll always be comparing things to the Cellardoor.

Childress Winery - Lexington, NC


None the less, I'll still be going to wineries and tasting wine. I'm open to suggestions!

Some of you may want to know if I had any luck with my genealogy search on my visit to Reidsville.  Sad to say, I did not.  I found no land records of my great grandfather, no death certificate and no obituary.  I read through almost 2 years worth of papers spanning the 2 months from the time of this death in both 1891 and 1892.  Newspapers were not anything like we have today.  You have to read almost the entire paper to find any comments about a death.  Obituaries were not grouped together.  I enjoyed reading the paper and was fascinated reading about politics in those days. Benjamin Harrison was president and the paper was full of the same political crap we listen to today.  Nothing changes.

No comments:

Post a Comment