Thursday, April 25, 2013

Route 66 and New Mexico


After leaving Phoenix, we headed up to Cottonwood, AZ and spent three days at Dead Horse Ranch State Park.  Because, after having bronchitis, I have been unable to shake this dreaded cough,  we decided it was best to stay put for a few days and allow me to get well.

Of course my being run down couldn't possibly have anything to do with the fact that I haven't slowed down for the past two weeks.  As hard as it is for me to admit, I'm not as young as I used to be and my body doesn't bounce back like it used to.

Now having said(written) that, you really don't expect me not to visit with friends when they are in the area do you?

Our friends Ray & Jo Ann happened to be staying at Dead Horse Ranch when we pulled in, so we had drinks with them Sunday evening.  Our friend Gretta M, lives in Cottonwood, so we had dinner with her Monday night.  But beyond that I did nothing for three days.  I didn't take a long walk.  I didn't go hiking!  I didn't go shopping!  I did nothing.

We left Cottonwood on Wednesday and headed to Gallup, NM.   Our intent was to drive along Route 66 whenever I could.  T didn't want to take the RV on that road and I don't blame him.  Much of it is in disrepair.  Of course, those of you who know me, that didn't stop me.  I bounced on and off of Route 66, whenever I could.

Welcome to Winslow, AZ
Wigwam Inn, Holbrook, AZ



























Red Rock Park, Gallup NM







The surface of Route 66 is really bad in some places.
On one stretch the road was terrible and I realized that I was going nowhere so decided to get back I-40.  I road around in a circle until I could find a place to get back on the Interstate.  I have to admit the scenery here in New Mexico is beautiful.



View along I-40 between Gallup and Albuquerque NM


No comments:

Post a Comment